tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 16 18:19:00 1998

Re: KLBC: "bicycle pump"

At 14:03 98-04-16 -0700, SuStel wrote:
}From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
}
}>> not De' lI' Danobmo' jIQeHchoH, Voragh.  QaQ qechmeyvam.  {buy'}
}vIqelbe'pu'.
}>
}>I was startled when I read this, then I realized that I likely
}>would have written it as:
}>
}>pIj De' lI' DanobtaHmo' not jIQeHchoH, Voragh.
}>
}>What you wrote was not technically wrong since the adverbial
}>for the main verb definitely can preceed the {-mo'} clause, but
}>it reads as if the adverbial was attached TO the {-mo'} clause,
}>which in this particular sentence gives the exact opposite
}>meaning than that I suspect you intended.
}
}Actually, given Qov's personality, I thought she meant it as she worded it.
}"Y'know, Voragh, just once I'd like to see you say something useless!!!!!!
}But you never do, do you?"
}That kind of sentiment.  But Qov has agreed with you, so I guess that wasn't
}it . . .

lI'be' De' ghaqchugh Voragh lI' De'vetlh'e'.  De' lI'be' ghaqlaH'a' Voragh?
DaH wISovbe'.  chaq {'e'} lo'Ha'chugh Voragh jIQeHchoH.  tugh {'e'}
lo'Ha'bogh taghwI' chun'e' vIghIj.  tlhejchuq'a' Qaghmey rap?  mujevlaw'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level