tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 16 13:49:08 1998

Re: KLBC: "bicycle pump"

From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>

>> not De' lI' Danobmo' jIQeHchoH, Voragh.  QaQ qechmeyvam.  {buy'}
vIqelbe'pu'.

>I was startled when I read this, then I realized that I likely
>would have written it as:
>
>pIj De' lI' DanobtaHmo' not jIQeHchoH, Voragh.
>
>What you wrote was not technically wrong since the adverbial
>for the main verb definitely can preceed the {-mo'} clause, but
>it reads as if the adverbial was attached TO the {-mo'} clause,
>which in this particular sentence gives the exact opposite
>meaning than that I suspect you intended.

Actually, given Qov's personality, I thought she meant it as she worded it.
"Y'know, Voragh, just once I'd like to see you say something useless!!!!!!
But you never do, do you?"
That kind of sentiment.  But Qov has agreed with you, so I guess that wasn't
it . . .

SuStel
Stardate 98290.8

Back to archive top level