tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 16 18:18:52 1998

Re: veS

At 09:44 98-04-16 -0700, Voragh wrote:
}: mu' QujwI' wrote:
}: }          jIpujchugh, vaj jIHoS 'e' yIDa
}: }          jIHoSchugh, vaj jIpuj 'e' yIDa
}:
}: I understand this use of {Da} as "If I am weak, then act as if I were
}: strong," and I don't mind it, but I can't guarantee Klingons would think it
}: was right.  We've only seen {Da} mean "act as."  Other than that you have
}: two well-formatted and uncontroversial sentences with good prefixes here.
}: majQa'.
}
}You should also consider {vang} "act, take action" in this context.

But not in this construction.  In none of the [deleted for brevity] examples
does {vang} take an object, and I certainly wouldn't accept it taking as its
object a situation one was acting as if were true.  We know {Da} can take an
object, but can it take a situation?  In fact, I'm liking this use of {Da}
less. I think I may only understand it because I am English-speaking.  va.

THE NEXT LANGUAGE I LEARN WILL HAVE LIVE NATIVE SPEAKERS!  Maybe even in my
area code.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level