tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 15 13:30:32 1998

Re: KLBC: "bicycle pump"

According to Qov:

> At 11:12 98-04-10 -0700, Voragh wrote:
> }Since this isn't really a grammar question, I'll risk Qov's wrath and
> }venture a couple of other suggestions:
>
> not De' lI' Danobmo' jIQeHchoH, Voragh.  QaQ qechmeyvam.  {buy'} vIqelbe'pu'.

I was startled when I read this, then I realized that I likely
would have written it as:

pIj De' lI' DanobtaHmo' not jIQeHchoH, Voragh.

What you wrote was not technically wrong since the adverbial
for the main verb definitely can preceed the {-mo'} clause, but
it reads as if the adverbial was attached TO the {-mo'} clause,
which in this particular sentence gives the exact opposite
meaning than that I suspect you intended.

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'

Back to archive top level