tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 13 06:56:45 1998

Re: muD Dotlh...again

At 06:18 PM 4/11/98 -0700, SuStel wrote:
>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>

>>Most people on this list use
>>{muD} "atmosphere" to mean "air" in general, but I'm not 100% convinced
>>since the secondary meaning of {muD} is "weather":
[...]
>Suppose it's raining.  I come up with this:
>
>tlhIngan wa': DaH muD Dotlh nuq?
>tlhIngan cha': DaH SIS muD.
>
>We are never given any direct statement of what the correct subject of {SIS}
>is, but if someone asks you to give the status of the atmosphere, it really
>looks like the atmosphere HAS to be the subject of this verb.

I was paying only half attention to the eariler discussion about this,
but (for what it's worth) when I posted a short description of the weather
here, it felt very natural to say {peD chal}.

Assuming {peD} and {SIS} take any subject at all, I'd tend towards {chal}.
Experientially, you observe rain or snow falling from somewhere overhead,
i.e., from the sky.  {muD} seems to me to be more all-encompassing; the
atmosphere reaches all the way to the ground.  Since rain and snow don't
precipitate out of the atmosphere all around us, I don't think {muD} in
general would be considered the source of the precipitation.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level