tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 11 18:01:50 1998

muD Dotlh...again

From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>

>Most people on this list use
>{muD} "atmosphere" to mean "air" in general, but I'm not 100% convinced
>since the secondary meaning of {muD} is "weather":
>
>     "The Klingon word for weather meaning the state of the atmosphere, is
>the same as
>     the word for atmosphere itself, {muD}. When inquiring about specific
>weather
>     conditions at a specific time and/or place, the expression {muD Dotlh}
>(literally,
>     `atmosphere status') is used." (MO in HolQeD 2.4)

I know we're pumping a flat bicycle tire with this, but I'd like to mention
something.

Let's inquire about the weather conditions.

DaH muD Dotlh nuq?
What is the atmosphere status now?

I can think of no other way to use this expression.  Now, give the
atmosphere's status.

DaH tuj muD.
The atmosphere is hot.

Note that I'm describing the atmosphere, not its status.  A status is not
hot or cold or raining or snowing.  This is not {DaH tuj muD Dotlh}, it is
simply {DaH tuj muD}.

Suppose it's raining.  I come up with this:

tlhIngan wa': DaH muD Dotlh nuq?
tlhIngan cha': DaH SIS muD.

We are never given any direct statement of what the correct subject of {SIS}
is, but if someone asks you to give the status of the atmosphere, it really
looks like the atmosphere HAS to be the subject of this verb.

Then again, I suppose you could argue:

tlhIngan wa': DaH muD Dotlh nuq?
tlhIngan cha': DaH yIQ muD.

This would keep the question of the subject of {SIS} unanswered.  For
"snow," you could use {yIQ muD 'ej bIr}.

I'm not saying I've solved the "what's the subject of {SIS}?" problem.  This
has just been a little frustrated speculation.

SuStel
Stardate 98277.1

Back to archive top level