tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 11 12:22:24 1998

Re: KLBC: tlhIHvaD jIlIH'egh

At 08:54 98-04-11 -0700, SuSvaj wrote:
}>} wej be' moj puqbe'vam, 'ach Hem 'ej be' quv ghaj.
}>}This girl has not yet become a woman, but is proud and has a woman's
}>}honor.
}>
}>batlh Hol jatlh je be'vam!  nughmaj muvta'mo' ghaH jIbel.
}>
}>A couple of points:
}>1. "have honor" may be an English idiom.  We have patience, have honour,
}>have a fit, have time ... Klingons may use {ghaj} only for actual
}possessions.
}
}On p. 59 of TKW Okrand uses "batlh Hutlh" to say "He has no honor."  In
}light of that, perhapse "be' batlh Hutlhbe'" would be the best choice to
}say, "She has a womans honor."

Thanks for the canon. Given that, I'm leaning further towards {batlh ghaj}.
I just wanted to state the caution against using {ghaj} wherever English
uses "have."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level