tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 11 01:13:53 1998

Re: HolQeD 6.4 Participles

At 23:01 98-04-10 -0700, Ken wrote:
}This may be a KLBC question.
}
}In the article about participles he used the example:
}
}lu'rInmoHlu'bogh
}
}I understand rInmoHlu'bogh as *that which cause to be finished*
}or something along those lines. Finished... caused... Indefinite subject...
that which..., or it's finished.
}
}But what is the first lu' mean. Possibly I copied it wrong.

It should be {lurInmoHlu'bogh}. He's made this mistake throughout the
article, inserting a gratuitous {'} after the prefix.  See section 4.2.5 on
{-lu'}.  If the object of the verb with the indefinite subject is third
person plural, then the {lu-} prefix is appropriate.  It's often omitted, as
in the canonical {naDev puqpu' tu'lu'}, but to be strictly correct it should
be used.

{Qu'mey lurInmoHlu'bogh}  "completed assignments."  That make more sense?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level