tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 10 16:45:34 1998

Re: KLBC: tlhIHvaD jIlIH'egh

At 15:37 98-04-09 -0700, qeyyoH 'elISabetlh wrote:

}*qeyyoH 'elISabetlh* 'oH pongwIj 'e'.	  My name is *qeyyoH 'elISabetlh*

Note the difference between the WORD {'e'} and the suffix {-'e'}.  The word
{'e'} stands alone, refers to the previous sentence, and is always the
object of a verb.  The suffix {-'e'} attaches to a noun, and indicates the
topic of the sentence.  The two are unrelated except for spelling.

In the sentence above you need the suffix.  {pongwIj'e'}

Qov 'oH pongwIj'e'.  chu'wI'pu' vIboQ.

}jIDel'egh:		I describe myself.

maj.

} wej be' moj puqbe'vam, 'ach Hem 'ej be' quv ghaj.
}This girl has not yet become a woman, but is proud and has a woman's
}honor.

batlh Hol jatlh je be'vam!  nughmaj muvta'mo' ghaH jIbel.

A couple of points:
1. "have honor" may be an English idiom.  We have patience, have honour,
have a fit, have time ... Klingons may use {ghaj} only for actual possessions.

2. I recommend you use the perfective on {moj}.

be' moj - she becomes a woman, she became a woman, she will become a woman
be' mojpu' - she had become a woman, she has become a woman, she will have
become a woman

You want to say that she has not yet completed the process of becoming a
woman. The emphasis is really on completion.  Thus the perfective.

}chal rur mInDu'Daj SuD. qIj jIb, DaQ tIq bagh.
}Her eyes are sky blue.  Her hair is black, tied in a long
}ponytail.

majQa'.  The second is literally "The hair is black, she tied a long ponytail."
You might say also {DaQ tIq baghlu'pu'} "a long ponytail has been tied," or
{baghpu'}, "she has tied."  Again the emphasis is on the result of the
action being completed, so perfective is appropriate.

DaQ bagh - she tied a ponytail
DaQ baghpu' - she has tied a ponytail

}reH vIHtaH, Hoch bejtaH, paghHom jatlh.
}She moves constantly, watches everything, and speaks very
}little.

{paghHom}.  That's an interesting word.  Not everyone will like it, but I do.
Less controversially, you could say {rut jatlh}.  "She seldom speaks."

}Habbe' QuchDaj 'ach tlhIngan Quch rurbe'law'.
}Her forehead isn't quite smooth, but doesn't seem quite...
}Klingon.

Your grammar is correct, but I'd translate it "... doesn't seem Klingon."
For "doesn't seem quite Klingon" I'd say {tlhIngan Quch rurqu'be'law'}.  To
the speaker's perception it {rurqu'be'} "doesn't really resemble" a Klingon
Quch.

loQ ponglIj vIqawlaw'.  maqIH'a'?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian