tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 09 22:59:41 1998

RE: The Four Questions

> ----------
<snip>
> So, anyway, here is my pitiful attempt in tlhIngan Hol, followed
> separately by the
> English which I was given.

jangbe'lu'law'mo' 'ej bImoDnISmo' vuDwIj vInob..

> --- The Four Questions in tlhIngan Hol ----
> qatlh Hoch rammey pIm ramvam?

Although {Hoch rammey} means "all nights" and not "all other nights,"
this is probably the way I'd translate it. Something more "accurate"
like {Hoch latlh rammey} seems awkward to me.  Also, {pIm} is glossed as
"be different" rather than "be different from (something)", so the 2
things being compared would probably be the subject. Therefore I'd
prefer {qatlh pIm ramvam Hoch rammey je}.

> Hoch rammeyDaq tIr ror tIr rorbe' joq wISop maH.
> qatlh ramvamDaq tIr rorbe' neH wISop maH?

I suppose that {ror} would be a good choice for leavened, without
getting into the technicalities of *how* bread is leavened. Any reason
why you chose {ror} instead of {pI'}? Maybe {pI'} refers to something
that is stout and fat horizontally, as in the hidden joke of {runpI'},
and so {ror} would be something vertically fat, like bread that would be
"fat upwards".
In this and the other questions, I think that using {-Daq} with {ram}
isn't the best because {-Daq} is used for location and direction, not
time. Maybe something similar to {qaStaHvIS Hochrammey} would be better.

> Hoch rammeyDaq Hoch naHmey DISop maH.
> qatlh ramvamDaq naHmey wIbqu' DISop maH?

I'm not sure how close to the idea of "herbs" you could convey using
{pID} (to coat with herbed mixture) or {ngat} (herbed granulated
cartilage), but it might be more accurate than {naHmey}.  Then again,
since the next question talks of dipping herbs in condiments, {naHmey},
still might be preferable. {pID} & {ngat} are in KGT in the food argot
section, you could see if it gives a more detailed explanation of herbs
there.

> Hoch rammeyDaq naHmey DItlhorghmoHbe' maH
> qatlh ramvamDaq bIH vutmeH bIQ na' <haroses> je DIlo' maH?

I think that the way you used {DItlhorghmoHbe'} to convey the meaning of
condiments here is great.

> Hoch rammeyDaq maSop 'ej yupma' le' wImaqbe' maH.
> qatlh ramvamDaq <Sedar> tayvam wIchoq maH?

I don't know if there's a better word than {choq} that you could use to
indicate the celebration of the service.. Of course, to me {choq}
suggests that the service is being held to preserve a tradition, rather
than celebrate an event, which is what you may want to use.

> ---  The Four Questions in English ---
> Why is this night different from all other nights?
>
> On all other nights we eat either leavened or unleavened bread.
> Why, on this night, do we eat only unleavened bread?
>
> On all other nights, we eat all kinds of herbs.
> Why on this night do we eat especially bitter herbs?
>
> On all other nights, we do not dip herbs in any condiment.
> Why on this night do we dip them in salt water and haroses?
>
> On all other nights, we eat without special festivities.
> Why on this night, do we hold this Sedar service?
>

> 'etlhqengwI'
> (vuDmeywIjvaD jIngoy' jiH'e')

-Tad Stauffer
[email protected]