tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 09 05:13:01 1998

The Four Questions

This coming Friday (April 10th - two nights away) I have been invited to the home of a
Jewish friend to share in a Sedar before Passover.  Part of the ritual of the Sedar is the
asking of a series of four questions, designed to elicit the history of the Passover
observation.

The host asked that I translate the Four Questions into tlhIngan Hol, but, in somewhat
typical (for him) fashion, only gave them to me in English this morning.  As I have not
been able for numerous reasons to actively work at my tlhIngan Hol skills on a routine
basis, I am perhaps even rustier than I have been in the past.  Therefore, I would like
to elicit some (constructive) criticism of my efforts from the list members.

Please bear a couple of things in mind as you look through what I have attempted:

1)  I am (as indicated) on an unfortunately short deadline.  I will be thrilled by detailed
and extended discussion of fine points AFTER Friday.  At the present, I am hoping for
corrections of any WILD errors in grammar, word choice, etc.

2)  The deadline is even shorter than it seems, because I won't have a chance to check
the list after about 0730 on Friday morning.  I will be going pretty much straight from
work to my friend's house.  If you happen to come across something I really should
see during the day Friday, please feel free to e-mail me directly at my work address,
[email protected].

3) Despite items 1 and 2 above, I really will be appreciative of any comments and help
received, either before or after the "deadline".

So, anyway, here is my pitiful attempt in tlhIngan Hol, followed separately by the
English which I was given.

--- The Four Questions in tlhIngan Hol ----
qatlh Hoch rammey pIm ramvam?

Hoch rammeyDaq tIr ror tIr rorbe’ joq wISop maH.
qatlh ramvamDaq tIr rorbe’ neH wISop maH?

Hoch rammeyDaq Hoch naHmey DISop maH.
qatlh ramvamDaq naHmey wIbqu’ DISop maH?

Hoch rammeyDaq naHmey DItlhorghmoHbe’ maH
qatlh ramvamDaq bIH vutmeH bIQ na’ <haroses> je DIlo’ maH?

Hoch rammeyDaq maSop ‘ej yupma’ le’ wImaqbe’ maH.
qatlh ramvamDaq <Sedar> tayvam wIchoq maH?

---  The Four Questions in English ---
Why is this night different from all other nights?

On all other nights we eat either leavened or unleavened bread.
Why, on this night, do we eat only unleavened bread?

On all other nights, we eat all kinds of herbs.
Why on this night do we eat especially bitter herbs?

On all other nights, we do not dip herbs in any condiment.
Why on this night do we dip them in salt water and haroses?

On all other nights, we eat without special festivities.
Why on this night, do we hold this Sedar service?

'etlhqengwI'
(vuDmeywIjvaD jIngoy' jiH'e')

Back to archive top level