tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 08 23:27:40 1998

Re: tis the season KLBC

At 19:35 98-04-08 -0700, DloraH wrote:
}>}I'm not as sure as Qov is about {-ta'} vs. {-pu'} here.  {-ta'} seems
}>}to focus more on the volition than I think is necessary.  The idea as
}>}I understand it is merely that he was dead and now he isn't anymore,
}>}though I guess whether or not that happened intentionally does have at
}>}least *some* importance in the scheme of things.
}>
}>That's usualy the side of the argument I take.  I quite agree that {-pu'}
}>can apply to intentional and unintentional completion.  We'll let the
}>original poster decide whether the English statement means "he said he was
}>going to, and he accomplished it" or simply that the action is complete.
}
}My understanding is that before Christ came to earth as flesh, He knew he
}was going to die and rise again.  The whole 'purpose' of Christ coming to
}earth was to die for our sins.  I would certainly call that [-ta'].  He
}didn't just happen to be killed and decided to make good of it somehow.
}
}boghta' ghaH.  Heghta'.  yemmajmo' Heghta'.
}yInqa'ta'. (or pep, or whichever root verb is decided on here)

maQochbe', DloraH.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level