tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 07 09:16:20 1998

Re: Hi All!

John May wrote:
>New to the list etc.

qalajqang.  Welcome etc.

>I joined the list because of a facsination with people who take their hobby
>so seriously it becomes a lifestyle or almost a way of life (Way of the
>Warrior?) I have had dealings with the Tolkien society in the UK and met
>people who use the Dark Speech of Mordor or talk Elvish. Wonderfull people!
>Inspite of not having this passion myself, those who do interest me.

maSarchu'.

You'll find a wide spectrum of "Klingon-ness" among the members of
this list.  Some came here through an interest in Klingon martial
arts.  Some find the fictional Klingon culture's focus on "honor"
compelling.  Some are enthusiastic fans who want to know everything
possible about Star Trek.  Some just think Klingon is a nifty little
constructed language that's fun to use.

>Could you answer a couple of questions for me?

reH tlhIngan Hol qelbogh tlhobwI' vIjangrup jIH.

I'm always ready to answer serious questions about Klingon.

>Is Klingon language structured/complete enough to interact at length
>conversationally or is it restricted to the small vocabulary gleaned from ST
>films and series?

naQbe'law' tlhIngan Hol 'ach yapchu'.

If we tried to use the language only as presented in the TV series,
we'd probably fail badly.  The actors don't "know" Klingon, and they
are usually not coached by someone who does, so even if they get a
script with grammatically correct Klingon, the pronunciation isn't
going to be very good.  But the scriptwriters themselves don't know
Klingon either, and the producers don't seem to care much about the
situation, so the occasional line in "Klingon" we hear on TV usually
makes us wince.  However, the movies do a much better job of getting
it "right."

If you expand the source to include a pair of books by Marc Okrand
(_The Klingon Dictionary_ and _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_),
I suppose you could call it a "restricted" vocabulary.  Everything
that we say is based on the grammar and words found there, with a
couple of incidental words and usage clarifications we've received
from the author through other means.

The Klingon language is by no means "complete", but it's complete
enough for us to have lengthy conversations on everyday topics.
Trying to discuss Special Relativity in Klingon is difficult, but
still not impossible.

>Are there many people who can do this if it is indeed possible?

law' jatlhwI' po' 'e' vInoH.

In order to count on my digits the number of people with whom I have
had extended discussions in Klingon, I'd have to take off my socks. :)

>I wont be so crass as to ask why you do it, but was it an instant thing due
>to interest in language/s or did it develop as a progression from Trek
>related pursuits generaly?

Hov leng vIparHa', 'ach tlhIngan Hol vIqeltaHvIS ram ngoDvetlh.
jIHvaD potlh Hol'e'.

I've always liked Star Trek, and I consider myself a "mild" Trekkie.
I received a copy of _The Klingon Dictionary_ as a gift in December of
1994.  A month later, I discovered this mailing list, where I was
amazed to find that people were actually using the language and were
actually *communicating* sucessfully.  Now I find that I like Klingon
because it's linguistically interesting and because it makes me part
of a group of people I like to talk with.  Its connection with Star
Trek is no longer an issue for me.

>I am an avid Trek, and more recently Voyager devotee and can see where the
>compulsion comes from. In my youthful, acid clouded, (visionary) days, LIVED
>in the Middle Earth with The Hobbits, Gandalf et al. So I am no stranger to
>different worlds.

roD tlhInganna' vIDabe'.  tlhIngan Quch vItuQta', 'ach loQ vIpar.

I don't find roleplaying all that much fun, in general.  Last year I
finally bought a wrinkly Klingon forehead, but I was uncomfortable
wearing it.  The physical discomfort wasn't so much an issue as the
question of identity.  tlhIngan jIHbe' -- I am not a Klingon.

>Another question. Are you mainly young people? My yardstick is my own age of
>forty'ish, and are your familys, children(?) as interested as yourselves?

wejmaH jav ben jIboghpu'.  tlhIngan Hol vIHaD 'e' luSIQ be'nalwI'
Hut ben puqloDwI' je.  rut tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhmo' chaH vISujlaw'.

I'm 36.  My wife and nine-year-old son tolerate my speaking Klingon,
but they don't share my enthusiasm.  Sometimes I think it annoys them.

>Now for a good bit for you to show off your skills:
>Anyone give me a few phrases to impress my friends with? Simple stuff with
>pronunciation please! How about: Hello (is there an equivalent?) Goodbye,
>and maybe a few choice insults.

tlhIngan mu'ghom yIje' yIruch.

Go and buy yourself a copy of _The Klingon Dictionary_.  You'll find
out how to pronounce the words, and there's an appendix of "Useful
Klingon Phrases" in the back with a simplified pronunciation guide.
You'll also discover that there is no equivalent to the pleasantries
"Hello" and "Goodbye".  Upon meeting, Klingons customarily begin by
stating their business; when there is nothing more to be said, the
conversation is simply over.

If you want insults, the _Power Klingon_ audiotape has an extensive
section on "curse warfare."

>I realy like the Vulcan "Live long and
>prosper"_"Peace and long life". No direct equvalent here I'm sure but is
>there a Klingon ritual greeting?

There's a reasonably official translation of the Vulcan phrase:
yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep -- endure a long life and be prosperous.
(Marc Okrand provided this in the Star Trek 30th Anniversary edition
of _Radio Times_ magazine two years ago.)

The *only* real Klingon greeting is {nuqneH}, which translates as
something like "Whaddyawant?"  It's not at all the same as "Hello",
but quite a few Terrans use it that way because they feel a need to
say *something* to indicate that they're starting a conversation.

tlhIngan Hol Daghoj 'e' DaHech'a'?  Hol'e' buS ghomvam 'e' yIqaw.

So, are you going to learn Klingon?  Remember, this is a *language*
group.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level