tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 07 01:54:45 1998

Hi All!

New to the list etc.
I joined the list because of a facsination with people who take their hobby
so seriously it becomes a lifestyle or almost a way of life (Way of the
Warrior?) I have had dealings with the Tolkien society in the UK and met
people who use the Dark Speech of Mordor or talk Elvish. Wonderfull people!
Inspite of not having this passion myself, those who do interest me.
Could you answer a couple of questions for me?
Is Klingon language structured/complete enough to interact at length
conversationally or is it restricted to the small vocabulary gleaned from ST
films and series?
Are there many people who can do this if it is indeed possible?
I wont be so crass as to ask why you do it, but was it an instant thing due
to interest in language/s or did it develop as a progression from Trek
related pursuits generaly?
I am an avid Trek, and more recently Voyager devotee and can see where the
compulsion comes from. In my youthful, acid clouded, (visionary) days, LIVED
in the Middle Earth with The Hobbits, Gandalf et al. So I am no stranger to
different worlds.
Another question. Are you mainly young people? My yardstick is my own age of
forty'ish, and are your familys, children(?) as interested as yourselves?
Now for a good bit for you to show off your skills:
Anyone give me a few phrases to impress my friends with? Simple stuff with
pronunciation please! How about: Hello (is there an equivalent?) Goodbye,
and maybe a few choice insults. I realy like the Vulcan "Live long and
prosper"_"Peace and long life". No direct equvalent here I'm sure but is
there a Klingon ritual greeting?

Well that's a bit to think about.

Regards
John