tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 01 20:42:46 1998

Re: KLBC: qech ngo'

At 13:26 98-03-27 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}I finally found the time to post again! I hope it's understandable.
}There are a lot of impersonal subjects in it. Please have a closer look
}at it.

}qech ngo'
}
}DaHjaj DuSaQDaq *Plinius* qup ghItlh vIlaDta'.
}Today I've read a text of Plinius the elder at school.

I'm not sure why you used the perfective in English *or* Klingon here.  I
would have used the simple past in English and the bare verb in English.  Be
careful with the appositive. "Pliny the Elder" is unambiguous in English but
{*Plinius* qup} could mean "Plinius' Elder."

}moQ 'oH tera''e' 'e' ja'mo' mumer.
}It surprised me
}because he said that the earth was a sphere.

Have another look at section 6.2.5, right at the end.  {ja'} is a verb of
saying, and the thing said is not treated as the object of the verb, either
with or without {'e'}.

{moQ 'oH tera''e' ja'mo' mumer}

}jIQub: rInpa' *botlh poH*, tera' qellu'DI' beQ tera' net Qub.

}I thought: When the earth was considered before the Middle Ages ended,
}one thought it was flat (is the use of {net} appropriate here?).

You must be thinking in English to say {jIQub: ...}.  That's equivalent to
placing the object after the verb. Use {... 'e' vIHar} or {... 'e' vIQub} as
appropriate, *after* the thing you think or believe.

This is an appropriate use of {net} and {-lu'}.

}'ach jImujba'. vaj De' vIlaD.
}But I was obviously wrong. So I read information.

Here the perfective would be appropriate.  You had been wrong before the
time under consideration (the time you read the book).

}ngo' moQ qech.
}The idea of a sphere is old.

Again there is ambiguity in the Klingon, because you could be talking about
ideas the sphere has.  That's the first way I read it.

}cha'SaD loSvatlh ben lughov *Greece* Hovtejpu'.
}Greek astronomers recognized it 2400 years ago.

maj.

}qaStaHvIS poH nI' qechvam luqel Hovtejpu' law' 'ej lu'ol.
}
}During a long time many
}astronomers considered this idea and verified it.

maj.

}'ach qaStaHvIS *botlh poH* ngermeychaj lulIjlu'.
}But in the Middle Ages their theories were forgotten.

maj.

}beQ tera' net Qubqa'.
}They thought again that the earth was
}flat ({net} question again).

pov.

}vaghvatlh ben tagh lengwI'pu' le' poH.
} 500 years ago the time of the great
}discoverers ("the exceptional travelles" - I know the word {Dun}, I just
}don't like it for this idea.

I read the Klingon and understood easily "the Age of Exploration."  A good
phrase.

}pay' ngermey ngo' luqawlu'. noy *Copernicus*
}*Galilei* je pongmey.
}
}Suddenly they
}(impersonal) remembered the old theories. The names of Copernicus and
}Galilei are famous.

maj.

}Other opinions?) began.

You lost the Klingon that went with this.  I would say:
jaS QubchoHlu'

}Sov ngo' luSamqa'ta' chaH. vaj ngermey chu'
}chenmoHlaH.

}They had found again the old knowledge. So they
}could make up new theories.

I'm not sure who the "they" is here/  I first read it as being Copernicus
and Galileo.  You might be better here to continue in the impersonal voice.
Sov ngo' Samqa'lu'ta'. ngermey chu' chenmoHlaH vay'.

Daj lutlIj, HovqIj.  tlhochchuqlaw'mo' SovlIj paqlIj je bIQulchoH 'ej maHvaD
De' Daj Damuch.  loQ QeD tIQ vIqaw jIH.  moQ 'oH tera''e' 'e' lutobmeH cha'
tej, DIS chongDaq Qam wa', tlhaq qar 'uchtaHvIS.  Hopbogh DIS chongDaq Qam
tlhaq ghajbogh latlh tej'e'.  quqbe' DungluQmeyHeychaj 'ach tay'qa'DI' chaH,
quqtaH tlhaqmey. jIluj'a'?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level