tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 31 13:41:25 1996

RE: KLBC - just "jatlh" - why?

jatlh Alan Weiner:

>  Congratulations SuStel on your promotion to pabpo'!

qatlho'!
Thanks!

>  Now to inundate you with BG questions...

yIruch!
Go for it!  (Or, more exactly, "do it!")

>  You responded to Adrian's post, starting with:
>  	jatlh Adrian K (HurghwI'):
>  I took this to be the Klingon-email equivalent of:
>  	Adrian K (HurghwI') wrote:
>
>  Now, I know this is a *real* beginner's question, but I don't follow
>  why it's just "jatlh" - "speak"
>  I follow there's no tense in tlhIngan Hol (which makes me tense -
>  *sorry*!) but shouldn't it have a suffix indicating that Adrian has
>  completed the speaking - jatlhpu' ?  Why does it not?

Well, he *has* completed it, but that information is not really very relevant.
 The difference is between "He says" and "He has said."  I could put it there,
but what would be the point?  Just because it's in the past doesn't mean that
it's completion is relevant.

Besides, when I was posting via AOL, I made use of the date and time which
were provided.  Since this provided the time context, I couldn't use {-pu'} or
{-ta'}.  Saying {31 October 1996 jatlhpu' Alan} in response to your letter of
31 October would mean that you had already sent the letter as of that date,
which would not be true.  So, the aspect marker (Type 7 suffix) is not very
useful here.

SuStel
Stardate 96832.9

Back to archive top level