tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 31 13:41:25 1996

RE: KLBC - bIDo'

jatlh Alan Weiner:

>  I'm wearing my TKD down to shreds...

vaj bIvangchu'!
Then you're doing something right!

>  I'm finding I frequently have beginners-type questions that don't get
>  answered in subsequent posts.  If it's ok, I'll post them as KLBC for
>  clarification.

Perfect!

>  A recent exchange included the following:
>
>   <post by Amos>
>
>   to which Jimmy responded (in part):
>
>  	Fourth, biDo' ghItlhlI' tlhIngan-Hol.
>
>  which was corrected (?) by qSeroHS (Niall Hosking):
>
>  	Secondly, I presume you got your word-order wrong...shouldn't
>  	that be tlhIngan Hol (no hyphen) ghItlhI' bIDo'   ?
>
>  (and also corrects Jimmy's "bi" --> "bI")
>
>  =46irst question:  which *is* correct word order.  (I assume the latter,
>  since Jimmy was saying something like "{do something} writing Klingon"
>
>  Second question:  How does bIDo' translate?  TKD lists Do' as "lucky"
>  and bI as "subject You, no object."   I don't see how luck fits in to
>  this context - "You are lucky to write Klingon"  ??
>  I'm confused...

I'm not certain what the original poster's intent was, so I can't simply say,
"Here's how you do it."  But . . .

You got {bIDo'} right.  It means "you are lucky."  I don't know how he was
meaning to use this.  If you did want to say "You are lucky to write Klingon,"
though, all you'd have to do is realize that this could be reworded as such:

"Because you write Klingon, you are lucky."
{tlhIngan Hol DaghItlhmo', bIDo'.}

Beats me why he said this, though!

SuStel
Stardate 96832.8