tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 31 08:52:44 1996

Re: KLBC - Trick or Treat

> Re: KLBC - Trick or Treat
Recalling one of my museum lectures (probably at the Franklin Institute)
Seqram wrote:

> He said his first try was "chobelmoH qoj qatoj", which he rather
> liked,
> because it had a nice cadence, and it used "qoj" instead of "pagh",
> implying "you'll please me, or I'll trick you... and hell, I might
> trick
> you anyway!"

I still like that one, I gave it to my psychology classes today.

> I think Lawrence's favorite was just "DaH HInob!" "Give it to me
> NOW!!!" (using HI- as a contraction for jIHvaD and an implied direct
> object, a construction I personally disagree with; it seems you
> really can
> only use that contraction jazz when there is something in the "true"
> Direct
> Object place, even as you can't use an indirect object in English
> without a
> direct object: "John bought Mary a bouquet of flowers" has "Mary" in
> a very
> different role than "John bought Mary."). Something like that is
> probably
> fine. :)

By "true Direct Object place" I'm guessing you mean a stated object, and
not the understood object (which in this context would refer to all the
chocolatey plunder and swag I can carry off).  I don't know if I agree
with you on this, and can't recall offhand where such an explicit
objection is stated.  As a fine piece of Clipped Klingon it seems quite
economical -- drop the actual d.o. because you can understand it from
context, and drop the actual i.o. because you can specify it with the
imperative prefix.  But, maybe I'm reaching.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level