tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 30 19:08:15 1996

RE: KLBC: Another prefix problem

jatlh Tremal-Naik:

>  If I say:
>  "I go to my room"
>  How could translate it?
>
>  "pa'wIjDaQ jIjaH" (at my room I go)
>  or
>  "pa'wIjDaQ vIjaH" (at my room I go to it)?

Careful of your spelling.  The Type 5 noun suffix you are trying to use is
spelled {-Daq}, with a lower-case {q}.  {DaQ} means "ponytail"!

{-Daq} isn't only translated as "at."  It can be "in," "to," "on," or whatever
else is appropriate to the situation; any spacial indication.  That's the "to"
in "to my room."  You already know "I go," {jIjaH}, now just add the rest:

pa'wIjDaq jIjaH
I go to my room.

Best not fiddle with trying to use {jaH} with an object just yet.  It's a
controversial issue, and may be incorrect.

>  Could somone show me some examples with jI- and vI- prefixes with some
>  explanations? On the TKD I see only examples with third person
>  subject/object (prefix 0) and so I don't understand very well...

Sure!

quSwIjDaq jIba'.
I sit on my chair.
(There is no object for "I sit."  But there is a location.)

juHDajDaq puq vIlegh.
I see the child in his home.
(The {juHDajDaq} simply sets the location of the sentence.  {puq vIlegh} is "I
see the child."  {juHDajDaq puq vIlegh} is "I see the child in his home."

>  How could I say:
>  "Go to sleep"? It's right "Qong bIjaH"? Which prefix can I put with Qong?

When you say the "go" in "Go to sleep," you don't really mean "go somewhere."
You mean, "Start sleeping," or even just "Sleep!"  {yIQong!}

>  Thanks a lot!!

qay'be'!

SuStel
Stardate 96832.6