tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 30 17:35:38 1996

Short Beginner's Grammarian intro

jatlh ~mark:

<<< SuStel (David Trimboli) is
dumb^H^H^H^Hcourageous enough to attempt the task.  May he discharge it
honorably. >>>

qatlho'law'qu'neS.  :)

:::With shaking hands, SuStel begins this difficult and momumental task.:::

Well, hi there!  I guess it's time to introduce myself to anyone who doesn't
already know me.  My name, as you can see, is David Trimboli, although on the
list I like to be called SuStel.  My job, as Beginner's Grammarian, is to help
out those who need or would like some help in working out the grammar of their
Klingon sentences, and in expressing themselves in Klingon.

I'd like to start off by honoring trI'Qal (Duffy) and ghunchu'wI' (Alan) for
their work in this job.  trI'Qal started it off, of course, and she puts more
effort into explaining grammar clearly than anyone else I've ever seen!  While
I probably don't have the wrists to type that much, I have seen how beginners
have appreciated her explanations.  And ghunchu'wI' was the BG when I really
started participating in the list.  He set the tone for me about what the BG
really does on the list, and I hope I can do nearly as well.

Anyway, here we are.  I certainly don't have the stamina to type out the same
explanation of the BG which trI'Qal did (however, you can find these messages
in the tlhIngan-Hol archives by taking a look at http://www.kli.org/.  Take
the "archives" link and search for the letter "Message for beginners" posted
20 August 1996.  I think I'll be writing up my own intro letter tomorrow . . .

Fortunately, I can summarize.  Any message with the letters "KLBC" in the
subject line (which, of course, stand for "Klingon Language Beginner's
C-something" (my guess is "Corner") is intended to be answered by the
Beginner's Grammarian.  The idea is, putting "KLBC" in the subject line will
make me notice it, and I shall read and answer it before anything else.  It
also tells others *not to answer until the Beginner's Grammarian has answered
the person's questions*!  Once I've gotten through it, feel free to respond,
but please *remove the KLBC* letters from the header!  (When trI'Qal resumed
this position, I didn't know I should be doing that.  Trust me, you don't want
to get trI'Qal mad at you!  {{:-)  And most importantly, don't try to correct
another beginner's post!  Very often, a well-meaning student of Klingon will
correct a fellow's sentences, only to make another mistake along the way.
Believe me, this confuses everybody involved!  (Of course, if *I* make a
mistake, feel free to pounce all over me.  I always prefer to be corrected
than for my mistake to be ignored.)

Oh, by the way, I may also take the liberty to reply to a beginner's post,
adding "KLBC" to the subject line myself when they have not.  I'll do this in
the hopes that the beginner in question sees the reply to his or her message.

When sending a KLBC message, please be sure to use punctuation.  Often, this
will mean the difference between my understanding what you mean and not.
Also, please send the English version of what you mean!  If I don't know what
you're trying to say, it's very difficult for me to show you how to say it
correctly.

If you use proper nouns or words from a non-Klingon language, please be sure
to mark these.  "Quotation marks" and *asterisks* are useful for this.

Oh, I must also say that I have not been keeping track (or keeping in my
Inbox) of which KLBC letters been posted on the list recently (and which ones
~mark has taken care of).  I'll start with today's mail, and if a KLBC message
you sent recently is unanswered, please resend it and I'll get right to it!

Gaaa, there's so much!  I'll probably write a short intro about this whole
thing, post it up on a website, and mail it to any newcomers I see.  I think
I've hit on the most important stuff here.  Anyway, if I've goofed something
up, or if I've forgotten something, or if you just feel like yelling at
someone (only in Klingon, in this case), then let me know!

SuStel, pabpo' chu'
Stardate 96832.2

Back to archive top level