tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 31 15:32:57 1996

RE: KLBC First attempt

>There is no word {wovqo'}.  {wov} is a verb meaning "be light, bright."  {qo'}
>is a noun meaning "world."  There is a verb suffix {-Qo'} (with a capital
>{Q}), but it means "don't!" (for a command) or "won't, refuse to" (for a
>statement), and is not what you're looking for.  Try {-Ha'} (see TKD 47-48),
>which means "undo."  It indicates that you're talking about the opposite of
>the verb.  "Unbright" would be {wovHa'}.

I don't know what I was thinking when I did this.

>Now, the problem here is that {rap} probably doesn't take an object.  It's
>subjects are probably always plural and the same as each other.  The meaning
>of {rap} is "be the same," not "be the same as."

I was wondering how to use verbs of likeness . . .

>Further, {Hech} means "intend, mean to," as in, "I intend to walk home."  It
>is *not* used in the sense of "I meant 'unbright.'"    So, you didn't "intend
>'be dark,'" you intended to *say* "be dark."
>
><Hurgh> jIjatlh 'e' vIHech.
>"I intended to say {Hurgh}."
>
>This is getting into complicated {'e'} sentences, and controversial {jatlh}
>stuff.  Let me suggest two things.  First, I'll not get too deeply into that
>now, but if you want me to, just say so.  Right now, I'll suggest a sentence,
>and you can try to puzzle it out if you like (I'm adding an extra {-bej}
>suffix for emphasis):
>
><Hurgh> jIjatlh 'e' vIHechbej.  rap <Hurgh> <wovHa'> je.
>"I definitely intended to say {Hurgh}.  {Hurgh} and {wovHa'} are the same."

Makes sense to me. "I said ' to be dark.' I definitely intended to say that..."

>Secondly, for a simpler sentence, you could recast.  Put the sentence in terms
>you know how to say.  The difference between the {Hurgh} you meant and the
>{Hurgh} r'Hul was teasing you with is that the first is a verb and the second
>is a noun.  You could easily make your point by simply saying
>
>wotna' 'oH <Hurgh>wIj'e'.
>"My {Hurgh} was definitely a verb."
>
>It kinda looks funny putting suffixes on quoted words like this, but it is
>done regularly and understandably all the time on the list!

I like this, too. How about:

wot 'oH <<Hurgh>>wIj'e' 'e' vIHechbej.

I definitely intended my "to be dark" to be a verb.

-Adrian K (aka HurghwI') {{:-)}

             \|||||/
             ( o o )
|--------oOOo--( )--oOOo----------| "tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq