tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 18:50:13 1996

Re: qutluch

> Actually, this subject is kind of misty. In TKW, a picture of a weapon with
> two spring-mounted side-blades, an arrow-head front edge, and a spiked butt
> is refered to as a *qutluch*. However, both the Star Trek Omnipedia and
> other sources refer to this same knife as a *d'ktagh* <- terran spelling!
> According to the ST Omnipedia, a qutluch has a single curvy blade. I tend to
> wonder if this is an error on Okrand's or Okuda's part.

     As a knife-fancier myself, I'll vote for it being Okrand's error.  The
kris (wavy) blade is more suited as an assassin's weapon than the three-blade
dagger, which is used in open, stealth-free combat as a parrying weapon.  (See
Porthos' use of it in "The Three Musketeeres").

qutluch daqtagh je vIja'chuqDI', jabbI'IDghomvam vIlo'Ha' vaj vay' vIghItlhnIS
tlhIngan Hol lo'bogh.  mu'tlheghvam vIghItlh.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |