tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 20:03:33 1996

qutluch

>sn't a qutluch the Klingon knife with one big central blade and two
>spring-loaded blades sticking out of the base?  I get a lot of catalogs,
>and I just saw a knife like this in a catalog, except they called it a
>"phoenix knife."  It sure looked like a qutluch, tho.
>
>-- ter'eS

Klingons had the knife first.  When the knife originally appeared in the
Earth catalogs it was called "Bird of Prey" and the symbol on the sheath was
closer to the Klingon symbol.  I have one of these early versions.
Apparently the general shape, function of the side blades, symbol, and the
name together was too much for an <unauthorized/unlicensed> product.  So
they changed the symbol and changed to name to "Phoenix".

DloraH

Back to archive top level