tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 21:03:22 1996

Kordite's Metal Things

 > From: "la'Hom qorDayt" <ur-valhalla!clpgh.org!geiselmank>

 > I have a small business I call Kordite's Metal Things. I cast pins and
 > weapons in aluminum.  Anyway, I want to say it in tlhIngan Hol.

 > My first thought was:
 > qorDayt Dochmey baS

Looking at it, I'm not sure if it works... "Kordite's things' metal" or "the
metal of the things of Kordite" would be the expansions of the noun-noun-noun
construction.  If {baS] were a verb "be metal" I wouldn't have a problem with
{qorDayt Dochmey baS}, but {baS} is a noun....  Maybe {qorDayt baS Dochmey}?
"The things of the metal of Kordite"?

I suppose you could concoct your own compound noun and say {baSDochmey}, but I
don't like that at all.

 > If it had to be a sentance, I'm looking at:
 > baS bIH qorDayt Dochmey'e'

As a descriptive sentence I prefer to avoid the pronoun-as-verb constructions
(if I can). Perhaps {DochmeyDaj chenmoHmeH, baS lo' qorDayt}.  (Hmmm...  how
would you describe aluminum?  It's a "soft" metal, isn't it?)

 > What do you think?  I prefer qorDayt Dochmey baS on a business card,
 > it's shorter and, since it's a name, everyone should be able to figure
 > it out.  Especially since it will be in english at the top of the card.

I understand it, but.... Still, look at *my* monstrosity of a .sig!

reH jaghpu'Daj jeyjaj *ruv Hurgh*!

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |