tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 14:32:34 1996

Re: Par'Mach is a Canonical

At 07:20 AM 10/24/96 -0700, Joel Anderson wrote:
>qatlh tlhIngan Hol ghoj ghotpu'? "Star Trek"
>(why do people study Klingon?"Star Trek" )

No offense, but how more ignorant can you get? This is not true whatsoever.
You stated something that you believe is true, but it is not. Many people
are interested in the Klingon language because it is always interesting when
a human just makes up a language off the top of their head (well, Scotty's
sounds, anyway), and many linguists and students study tlhIngan Hol BECAUSE
of this fact.

>'Iv tlhIngan paqmey ngev? "Star Trek"
>(who sells Klingon books? "Star Trek" aka Paramount)

Well, Klingon is Trademarked to Paramount, but it doesn't mean that they
themselves dictate what we learn about Klingons.

>'Iv tlhIngan Qujmey ngev?  "Star Trek"
>(who sells Klingon games? "Star Trek" aka Paramount)

See above.

>...  While there is a diverse community of
>people interested in tlhIngan Hol, the overriding *DRAW* is the milieu
>of a science fiction environment, namely Star Trek.  Were the "Star
>Trek" association somehow removed from tlhIngan Hol it would no
>doubt persist - but not to the degree it does today.

Maybe so, only because the casual learner would lose interest. But not the
people who study it for its potential and behaviour.

>[As amusing as the "SKI" tag may be, in a world where real impairment
>is a serious issue, I'll bet some people may not find it funny.  Why
>not just be polite and provide a translation and leave it at that?]

In this politically correct world, everything's insulting to someone.

vuvnISqu'lu'
tlhIngan De' chu'vaD:
http://www.spectranet.ca/~dviper/tlhIngan
(rInHa')