tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 14:17:29 1996

Re: Par'Mach is a Canonical

>Joel Anderson writes:
>>qatlh tlhIngan Hol ghoj ghotpu'? "Star Trek"
>>       (why do people study Klingon?"Star Trek" )
>   chaq motlh meqvetlh, 'ach mobbe'. ...
(Perhaps that is the usual reason, but not the only one.)

jIQochbe' -  mu'meywIj Da'ang.
(I agree - You illustrate my words.)

ghotpu'vaD law' tlhIngan Hol yuv "Star Trek"
(Star Trek promotes Klingon to many people.)

vaj meqmey law' tu'lu' - HIja'!
(And yes!  Then they discover many reasons
to study it.)

'ach tlhIngan Hol DaHaDchugh 'ej *Star Trek* Datem,
vaj qor'Du'lI' Datem.
(But if you study Klingon and deny Star Trek,
then you deny your family.)

IOW, While one certainly may pursue tlhIngan Hol independantly
of Star Trek (and many do), it is no more indepenant of
Trek than you are independant of your family.  reH DuSIgh vavlI'.
(Your father is part of you, always).

  -----

pItlh!

The limits on my leisure and the demands of my labor
being what they are I don't wish to extend this argument.

Besides, if you review Lawrence's fine and irenic post
(irEnic, not irOnic) you'll see *I'm* right:

    " I'm quite willing to agree
   with Joel (and anyone else) that
   "par'mach" is canonical Klingon"

But, then he adds:
   It has long been the practice of many
   members of the KLI to moan and sigh
   at STAR TREK episodic malapropisms, muttering
   under our breath annoying
   remarks such as "oh look, another dialect,"
   but if we take a prescriptive
   view of tlhIngan Hol we have no other choice.

  We're *ALL* right! SO ALL RIGHT ALREADY!

And therein lies the roots of this folderol -
approaching things Klingon from a *PRE*scriptive versus
a *DE*scriptive.

Eh. yIrojqu'!

---

Now, I need to go ponder how to teach tlhIngan Hol and
culture to 4-6 graders........   mwahahha  my own
little tlhIngan army...

--

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'