tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 09:32:05 1996

Re: Words from the wild (was Re: Par'Mach is ...)

ghItlh Lawrence:

> On a related note, something which comes to mind is just how to pronounce
> "par'mach."  Everyone seems to be going on the assumption that it actually
> looks like it's spelled.  But, keep in mind, this is a spelling of the word
> for the convenience of speakers of Federation Standard.

I was just going to say this same thing ... parmach will be an illegal word
for myself until Okrand pipes up with a "yea or nay" but as for the
spelling, everyone has seen it written as part of an ENGLISH sentence ...

Another example of exactly the same thing ...

TKW, page 103 -- qutluch is spelled as kut'luch for the english speakers
just for convinience of understanding.

nI'jaj yInlIj, 'ej batlh bIHeghjaj.

Qorbeq

--