tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 23 22:36:18 1996

Re: Words from the wild (was Re: Par'Mach is ...)

>On a related note, something which comes to mind is just how to pronounce
>"par'mach."  Everyone seems to be going on the assumption that it actually
>looks like it's spelled...

Indeed, both times the word is spoken (by Dax), it is pronounced with
a hard "k" sound at the end.  The closest spelling using the standard
"tlhIngan Hol ASCII" would be {parmaq}.  But given the generally poor
pronunciation that we've heard from DS9's actors -- even if we ignore
the grammar -- it could easily have a "correct" spelling of {parmaQ},
though {parmaH} makes more sense given the pseudospelling "PAR'MACH".

I'm not going to lose any [more] sleep over the issue -- this isn't a
real tlhIngan Hol word (yet).  Only Marc Okrand can add words to what
is still *his* language, so our arguing about how to pronounce and/or
spell it is pointless.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level