tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 09:26:37 1996

Re: Help with phrases

~mark wrote:
> How about "wa' Daleghchugh/..." if you see one...

    Is there canon for numbers as substantives?  If not, I'm going to have to
say that I don't think they should be.  On PK we are told that one of the
primary concerns for good style in Hol is accuracy.  Thinking as a Klingon, if
I heard a tera'ngan say "wa' Daleghchugh . . ." my reaction would be, "<wa'>
vIleghbe'. mI'mey vInejbe', Qaghmey vInej.  <wa' Qagh> Dajatlh 'e' DaHechchugh,
<wa' Qagh> yIjatlh!"  Just as there is no substantive demonstrative pronouns,
there should be no substantive numbers.  To a Klingon (to this one anyway) a
sentence like "If you see one . . ." begs to be asked "one what?".

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |