tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 24 04:44:41 1996

Blah blah blah (Was "par'mach" something or other

Dark Viper writes:

> Besides, as stated before, the language has evolved and therefore
> many meanings are lost in translation (i.e. Shine my nose and I'll give
> you your nose).

First, I have no problem understanding this.  But then, this goes back to
an earlier post I made regarding the minimal exploration of figurative
language being by Klingonists, both on and off this list.  It's an idiom,
don't take it literally (I'm tempted to be cute here and add something
idiomatic myself like "don't make a mountain out of a molehill" but that
would only confuse members of the list who don't have that idiom in their
cultural knowledge, so I won't).

Second, I can't dispute your statement that Klingon has "evolved" because
I haven't a clue in what way you're using that term.  I can't really
think of any usage though that requires losing meaning.  Please either
clarify or retract.

Lawrence

P.S.  If this post comes through strangely, it's because I'm attempting
to mail it in from a new machine/network at the University I'm now
teaching at, and I'm clueless about their system.  Think of this
postscript as either a pre-emptive replacement proverb, or a whiny SIG.

Back to archive top level