tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 22 18:01:22 1996

Re: Learning tlhingan Hol and Dr. Suess

>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:19:46 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Adrian K)

>>I know you				qaSov
>Good so far

Yeah.

>>You were too short			(I found nothing in the TKD that was similar to short)
>"bitIqHa'pu'" -> You were "unlong" (I couldn't remeber what the suffix
>meaning "too" is, can someone help me?)

We don't have a good word for "short," unfortunately.  "tIqHa'" works okay
for unlong, and nI'Ha' for unlong-of-time... But people aren't short in
length, necessarily.  I kind of like jenHa' for "short" of a person
(untall), but then again, it's only an English idiom that makes "long" not
a synonym for "tall."

You can use "bItIqHa'qu'"/you are/were very unlong.  There's no "-pu'"
implied that I can see, and -qu'/exceedingly seems to work well for "too"
in most circumstances.

>>You had bad skin			DIr bIqab
>"qabpu' DIrlIj" -> Your skin was bad

Yes, though the -pu' is not implied.  The original suggestion isn't
grammatical... "skin.  You're bad."  I prefer your "qab DIrlIj" to the more
literal-from-English "DIr qab Daghaj."

>>You couldn't speak to them very well	majQa' tIjatlhQo'
>"Dajatlhta' 'ej QaQbe'pu' SoQlIj" -> You spoke to them and your speech was
>not         good

I'd prefer "chaHvaD bIjatlh 'ej QaQbe' SoQlIj," to use your
phraseology... which I probably would not have thought of, by the way.
It's qute good and creative and makes sense; be proud of it!  I might have
done something like "chaHvaD bIjatlhchu'be'" or "chaHvaD bIjatlhHa'" or
"chaHvaD bIjatlhtaHvIS bIpo'be'"....

The original suggestion was more like "well done.  don't say them."

>>They lied when they came out of your mouth	nuj nIHurvo'DI' nep'e'
>"nujlIjvo' lujaHta'DI' nep" -> When/(As soon as) they left your mouth, they lied

drop the lu- prefix.  They/no-object is no prefix.  Also don't need the
- -ta'.  Otherwise, I rather like your translation.

~mark

Back to archive top level