tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 22 06:56:37 1996

Words from the wild (was Re: Par'Mach is ...)

>>"parmach" ....  Perhaps there is a nominal use
>>of "par" and parmach is, like "nuqneH" a shorthand sentance
>>for "my dislike is small".
>
>How can that be? Why wouldn't they just use <parHa'tIn> following your
>logic?

Sure - they COULD.   BUT, this isn't *LOGIC*, it is
LANGUAGE.  I meant to suggest one possible
derivation.  Following the theory that this IS a real
tlhIngan word, I was pondering where it came from.  BUT
we don't KNOW.  We can look at 'ejDo' and 'ejyo' and
ponder that PERHAPS "'ej" means "star" in some past
dialect of tlhIngan, BUT we don't KNOW.  That is why
it is fun to ponder.

I confess I'm being a bit obnoxious on the subject of
canonicity, but I find it really unhealthy that many
seem to espouse this weird relationship with the
Trek material, disdaining all but the "pure" material,
or more precisely, what they  decide is the pure material.
I'm sure many people learning English wish they could
constrain the language to the parts that made sense.

I prefer to think that tlhIngan was intended to be like
a real language, all sorts of oddball stuff
sailing in (and be honest; the material from DS9 and
other sources is hardly going to swamp the tlhIngan Hol
boat).

I certainly don't want anyone to throw out
the TKD or the grammar as presented by Marc Okrand -
I only mean to advocate the position that there is
more to the Hol than one person, no matter how worthy
he might be (I'm not being ironic - Okrand IS worthy).

As I've noted before - more people are likely to learn
and know "par'mach" than "bangwI' SoH" or "qa'muSHa'";
why not accept it gracefully?  Instead of appearing
to be some kind of nerdy crank, be ready to talk about
what it *might* mean, and then seque into what we
REALLY know from TKD et al?  Works for me.

-

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
   http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon  [email protected]
   GALACTIC LANGUAGES: [email protected]