tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 19 10:41:34 1996

KLBC - DaH ghItlhwIj yIlughmoH

I didn't get *any* feedback on the first scene of the play I posted here a
few weeks ago.  I took this as a challenge and studied more Klingon and more
plays.  Plays often revolve around misunderstandings for plot.  How best to
create confusion in Klingon then?  The idea for this short scene came from
all the trouble I have with the suffix -bogh.  Despite Krankor's column in
HolQeD suggesting using -'e', this is not a requirement and leaving it out
creates the joke for this scene.  The point is totally lost in the
translation.

Let me know what you think of it.  If you like it, and the Klingon isn't too
bad, I will submit it to KWP for jatmey.

I welcome lots and lots of comments, not just from the BG.  Thank you in
advance.

          yajHa'ghach mach

tachDaq ghom cha' vajpu'.

Doq:  jupwI'!  nI' poH.  HoD qIj DujDaq bItoy''a'.

SuD:  nI' poHqu'.  'ach HoDvatlh pong.  batlh ghajbe'.
      qaQubDI' Duj pIm vIqaw.  HoD qIj DujDaq jIQayta'pa'
      HoD chIS DujDaq matoy'.

Doq:  HISlaH, HoD chIS vIqaw.  vajna' ghaH.  vItoy'moH
      jIquvmoHlu'

SuD:  bIQoy'a'?  ghaH jon Romulusngan.

Doq:  Do'Ha'.  webbej.

SuD:  ghobe'.  yI'Ij.  QIDmo' jonta'.  'ach vaj narghchu'.
      RomuluSngan Duj nIH 'ej jonwI'Daj jonta'.

Doq:  DaH HoD chIS vIqawbogh rur Dochvam.  'ej 'e' chaw''a'
      RomuluSnganpu'. pujwI'pu' chaH Romulusnagn.  batlh
      ghajbe'.

SuD:  Hija'.  'ach HoD HoHbe'mo' ghaH quvHa'.

('Iw HIqchaj tlhutlhta' 'ej latlh poQ.)

SuD:  wa'Hu' ghaH vIleghmo' lutvam qaja'.  tengchaHDaq
      RomuluSngan jonta'bogh HoDma' vIlegh.  batlh ghajbe'mo'
      beHwIj vIbaH 'ej ghaH vIHoH.

Doq:  (mer) RomuluSngan jonta'bogh HoDma' DIHoH'a'?

SuD:  HIja'.

Doq:  (jupDaj baH) DaH bortaS!

SuD:  (HeghlI') qatlh choHIv?

Doq:  HoDma DIHoHmo' qaHIv.

SuD:  HoDma' vIHoHbe'.  RomuluSngan'e' jonta'bogh HoDma'
      vIHoH.  HoDma' jonta' RomuluSngan'e' vIHoH.

Doq:  toH, jIyajHa'.  Hivqa' veqlargh.

**********English Translation*******

          A SMALL MISUNDERSTANDING

Two warriors meet in a bar.

Doq:  My friend!  Long time.  Do you still serve on Captain
      Black's ship?

SuD:  It has been very long.  Unfortunately, yes.  But do not
      speak that captain's name.  He has no honor.  When I
      think of you  I remember a different ship.  Before I
      transferred to Captain Black's ship we served on
      Captain White's ship.

Doq:  Ah yes, I remember Captain White.  He was a true
      warrior.  I was honored to serve him.

SuD:  Did you hear?  He was captured by a Romulan.

Doq:  That is unfortunate.  He is surely disgraced then.

SuD:  No, listen.  He was captured becaused he was wounded.
      But then he escaped and  he stole a Romulan ship and
      captured his capturer!

Doq:  Now that resembles the Captain White whom I remember!
      And the Romulan permitted his capture.  Romulans are
      weaklings.  They have no honor.

SuD:  Yes.  But because he did not kill the captain the
      Romulan dishonored him.

(The two warriors finish their blood wine and order more.)

SuD:  I told you this tale because I saw him yesterday.  I
      was on a space station and I saw the Romulan whom our
      captain had captured.  Because he had no honor I fired
      my weapon and I killed him.

Doq:  (surprised) You killed our captain who had captured the
      Romulan?

SuD:  Yes.

Doq:  (shoots his friend) Now I have my revenge!

SuD:  (dying)  Why did you attack me?

Doq:  I attacked you because you killed our captain.

SuD:  I did NOT kill our captain.  I killed the ROMULAN who
      our captain captured.  I killed the ROMULAN who
      captured our captain.

Doq:  oh, I misunderstood.  The Feklahr strikes again.

Back to archive top level