tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 18 17:31:38 1996

Re: "The ship is made of metal"

>Adrian K writes:
>>I am relatively new to Klingon, but it seems that there is a better
>>translation than the cumbersome one offered by Mark Shoulson.
>
>Cumbersome?  Maybe I'm just used to the way we've historically said
>things like this, but "metal is used to make the ship's hull" seems
>right on target to me.

>Because there isn't a word for "be made of" or "make up" in the dictionary,
>I can't find a better way to say it than the sentence ~mark suggested.
>"In order to cause the ship's hull to take form, one used metal."  Perhaps
>it looks cumbersome in English, but it seems perfectly natural :) to me in
>Klingon.

When I said "cumbersome" I guess I really meant it seems kind of roundabout.
It seems to me that a language that has been in use, supposedly, for a
thousand years or so would have evolved a more direct way of stating the
"made of" concept, even if we can't use it as cannon yet. I thought
[email protected] was also in a good direction by trying to indicate
equivalency. Incidentaly, I looked through TKD for a translation of 'oH, but
all I came up with is the pronoun. I also checked the KLI's list of new
words not in TKD. Can someone give me a formal definition or lead me to one?

-Adrian K
                 \|||||/
                 ( o o )
|------------oOOo--( )--oOOo--------------|  "Duct tape is like the force ...
|               WWW page:                 |   it has a light side, and a dark
|     http://www.jwp.bc.ca/peregrine      |   side, and it holds the universe
|                E-Mail:                  |   together."
|          [email protected]            |

Back to archive top level