tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 17 13:09:00 1996

Re: "The ship is made of metal"

[email protected] writes:
>How about:  baS 'oH Duj Som'e'
>       or:  baS 'oHtaH Duj Som'e'

This is close, very close.  It might even be close enough, if someone
can convince me it's okay.  Right now, though, it doesn't *quite* fit
the way I think pronouns-as-verbs work.  I tend to read these as sort
of saying "[The material called] ship's hull is a [type of] metal."
[Scrith, perhaps? :-)]  I can't point to a spot in TKD that gives this
interpretation, but the non-location "to be" statements all fit the
pattern of "The subject is a subset of the set named by the object."
I've never been able to see it as indicating general equivalency, and
there don't seem to be any examples of its being used as you suggest.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level