tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 17 08:40:08 1996

Re: Beam me up

>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:20:59 -0700
>From: Thorwald Peeters <[email protected]>

>rewbe'mey!

Heh... we *are* all scattered about; -mey is probably pretty good...

>Now for the Question: What's the right way to say "beam me up!"?
>I've been looking for a correct translation in TKD, because I didn't
>like the version used by someone I converse about ST with in a Fido
>echo.
>
>I've come up with "jolchu'" or "jol chu'" (I don't know which one is the
>right one, but I think the first is better.
>The translation I've dared to doubt was "Cho'Echu". This was the
>translation given by a local television station when a Klingon woman
>wanted to be beamed away from DS9 with Quark in "The House of Quark".

"HIjol" has already been mentioned as the TKD answer (lit. "transport 9with
transporter beam) me!"  What you saw in the station was probably a bad
transliteration of "jol yIchu'," which is what Kirk said in STIII:
"activate transport beam!"  "jol chu'" is acceptable as a clipped form of
this.

~mark

Back to archive top level