tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 15 10:39:42 1996

Re: Atributively used verbs - order by degree

In message <[email protected]> [email protected]
inia.edu writes:
> I'd go for a simpler series:
>
> Duj tInqu' > Duj tIn > Duj motlh > Duj mach > Duj machqu'
>
> Five degrees of magnitude are enough so long as measurement is remaining
> subjective, and this avoids the controversy over which is bigger, the big
> ship, the not-huge ship, or the very-much-not-small ship. Different
Fine.

> people could easily interpret these differently, so why not forego the
Aha! That was exactly what I was trying to find out. _Do_ people
interpret them differently?

> negative when trying to describe a positive attribute?

well, why not use the tools of the language to yield as precise a
statement as possible? Of course you're right to say that, if people
don't agree on the shades of meaning, you don't gain anything.

> On Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:07:40 -0700 Bill Willmerdinger
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > These should be pretty clear
you see, not everybody thinks so :)

HomDoq