tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 13 19:57:12 1996

Re: RE: "Picture" or "Display"

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:50:33 -0700 "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>  ----------
> From:  WestphalWz[SMTP:[email protected]]
> Subject:  Re: "Picture" or "Display"

> << I can't seem to find a word for "picture" or "display" as nouns (would
> cha'
>  suffice?). >>
>
> We now have the Klingon word {bey'} for "display."  So far, I have only
> encountered it in compound nouns.  This gives:  batlhbey' = a display of
> honor (n).

I'm not sure I'd stretch that meaning quite that far. So far it has only
been used for "display" in the sense of "something hanging on the wall
for you to look at". When I hear "a display of honor", I think of an
action, which is not the same thing as an object or collection of objects
hanging on a wall to be viewed, which is what I see {bey'} to be from all
the examples we've been given.

So, what about {HaSta}? One of the oldest Klingon words we have, and I
think it means "display" and I think it is a noun. Is this a problem for
anyone?

> Qapla'  hope this helps  peHruS
>  -------------------------------------------------------
>
> mu'qoq Daqelbogh mu'na' DalaHbe'.

nuqjatlh? mu'na' DalaHbe' mu'qoq Daqelbogh.

> mu' naQ DameH <bey'> lo'DI' *Okrand*,
> mu'na' mojbej, 'ach DaH mu' 'ay' DalaH neH <bey'>.

bIqarqu'be'. I personally have not chosen to put {bey'} in the dictionary
of additional words on the web page in part because I need to update it
ANYWAY, and in part because it is arbitrary for me to draw this line,
but... Okrand has definitely used {bey'} as a complete word, but he has
not DEFINED it as a lone word. It is not used as part of a compound noun
at all. {betleH bey'} is not {*betleHbey'}. {nuH bey'} is not {*nuHbey'}.
{quv bey'} is not {quvbey'}. (It is also not {batlhbey'}.) In all uses,
{bey'} is a distinct word unto itself, but it is never defined alone.

Words that never get a definition explicitly stated anywhere simply
require slightly more boldness to include in what I'm trying to make a
dictionary worthy of respect as containing only words we are quite
certain about. I will probably manage that boldness in time for this
specific word, since it does get consistently defined as "display", with
the visual examples all being wall hangings. Meanwhile, the word
"display" in English is more vague than "wall hanging", and so far all
the examples look like wall hangings, so do I define it as "display", or
do I define it as "display, wall hanging"?

There are far too many other typos and other more obvious improvements
that are needed in the dictionary for me to focus a lot of attention
right now on the definition of {bey'} for a stand-alone word. We have no
examples to prove that it is ever used without one of the three
descriptive words preceeding it in all of the examples we have.

> SKI: <bey'> is not a real word.

chaq, 'ach ngoDqoq vISovchu'be'.

> pagh
>
> p.s. I have used <Da> here as a transitive verb meaning "act in the
> manner of". I hope it works.

As others have pointed out, there is no other way to use it.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level