tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 11 07:49:01 1996

Re: partitives

[email protected] writes:

> ghunchu'wI'vo':
> > Is {cha' Dujchaj} "two of their ships" or "their two ships"?  Both=20
> > interpretations are sensible, so that doesn't help much. =20
>
> Both interpretations are sensible sentences in English, but (I'd say) =
> only one is currently supported as an interpretation of the Klingon.

I, too, am not sure I understand the distinction between 'cardinal'
and 'prepropositional' (?); but what if Klingons perceive {Dujchaj}
not as "their ship" but as "ship of theirs" - would then {cha' Dujchaj},
interpreted 'cardinally', mean "two (ships of theirs)" (which seems to
me to be the same thing as "two of their ships")?

> > But try=20
> > {Hoch qamDu'vam} -- "all of these feet" or "*these all feet"?  This
> > is a bit less ambiguous, and it seems to lend support to a possible
> > partitive use of numbers before nouns.
>
> I'd say that in this case, the one supported interpretation is less =
> sensible; just because the other one is more sensible in English, =
> doesn't mean it's more supported in Klingon.  {{:) =20

and although you can't do with "this" and "that", what I did above
with "their", in English, maybe you can in Klingon; they belong to
the same class of noun suffixes after all.

or are there canon phrases that clearly show, the interpretation
I've given above cannot be used?

HomDoq

Back to archive top level