tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 11 05:03:17 1996

jInajpu'

 >From: ur-valhalla!netusa1.net!caanders (Alan Anderson)
 >Subject: jInajpu'
 >Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:11:02 -0700

 >peHruS writes:
 >>"word arrangement" 'oH mu' {mu'morgh}'e'

 >nuqjatlh?  nuqjatlh jay'?

In hindsight I understood it.

 >>"The book TKD often uses the word {morgh} in a different word."

 >"often"?!  I find three occurrences of the *syllable* {morgh}:
 >{may'morgh} "battle array", {rejmorgh} "worrywart" and {morgh}
 >"protest". "Battle array" is clothing.  "Worrywart" is a person.
 >"Protest" is a verb. >From which of these do you extract the meaning
 >"arrangement"?

This is just speculation, but I think peHruS is reading "array" the same way I
do: with a military slant.  I read "battle array" as the physical disposition
of the troops/ships/units, from which they are prepared for combat.  Check
your Webster's Unabridged, there's even an entry for "battle array".

>From this, I can comprehend where peHruS has interpreted {*morgh} as "array,
arrangement, disposition."  I also have a list of (for lack of a better term)
"bound morphemes" whose meanings I have inferred.  (Naturally, I don't intend
to *use* them as stand-alone words, but I have the list to check new
vocabulary against, just in case.)

(lots of speculation deleted)

I have quite a few of peHruS's morphemes on my list, although my
interpretation of most of them is much less controversial.  In many cases I
have no definitons at all.  I agree with two or three of peHruS's
suppositions, but that won't buy you a handfull of yuch, let alone peace on
Earth.

 >>We could then get the final word from MO
 >>as to how close we have come to the bullseye.

 >In the final analysis, then, any such "suggestions" would be rendered
 >moot. Why waste the effort?

I can sympathise with peHruS here.  It's easy to think, "Gee, if we gave
Okrand a list of words we researched and asked him if the definitions are
correct, wouldn't that save him a lot of effort, and maybe keep the
contradictions to a minimum?"  On the other hand, what gives us the right?
And, how many words like {'I'} and {nughIy} would we end up with?

I'm sure we all felt the urge at the qep'a' to grab Marc by the scruff of his
neck and say, "Look, we have these words, will you PLEASE tell us what they
really mean??"  That we didn't do it just proves we're {tera'nganpu' tay}, and
not savages.  <g>

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |