tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 10 21:09:15 1996

translation project

     I have begun a translation of Macchiavelli's "The Prince" which I thought
to be a particularly Klingon document.  I am sending the first chapter for
your consideration.  Not having any knowledge of Italian (Do'Ha') I am working
from a translation.  The text below is my Hol version, interlined with my
English and some comments.  The English is essentially a retranslation of my
Hol back into English, since I did extensive recasting in my head without
writing it down.  The actual, unrecasted English text I am working from can be
found at http://library.byu.edu/~rdh/eurodocs/italy.html.  I think you'll need
a browser that supports gopher.  (Translation:  ditch that wussy graphical
abomination and get Lynx, the Real Man's Web Browser!)
     I did the first draft in a notebook, writing Hol only.  I later typed it
out on my computer, adding the English.  I found this to be a useful
technique, and I reccomend it, since I found quite a lot of errors in trying
to figure out just what it was I *meant* to say.

che'wI'
The Ruler

ghItlhta'bogh *nIqolo *maHI'avelI qaSDI' joHma' wa'SaD vaghvatlh wa'maH vagh
which Nicolo Macchiavelli wrote in the year 1515

'ay' wa' - chay' yoSmey che'lu' 'ej chay' bIH Suqlu' qelbogh
chapter one - which considers how one rules countries, and how one obtains
              them.

loD che'taHbogh Hoch yoS Hoch HoS je che' wa' che'wI' pagh 'oH luche'
     ghom wIvbogh loDmey.
All countries and all powers which rule over men, one ruler rules them,
     or else a group which men choose rules them.

     The original simply said they were monarchies or republics.  There
     are a lot of long tortured sentences in here, but the source
     consists *entirely* of long tortured sentences.  I managed to break
     up most of them in the recast, I hope the company can assist me with
     the rest.

no'vo' law' yoS Hevlu' pagh chu' yoS.
One receives a country from many ancestors, or else it is new.

     Here was another short phrase that got long in the process, the
     idea of "hereditary."

rut chu'chu' yoSmey chu'.
Sometimes new countries are completely new.

*mIlan, *verancheSqo *SorSa je wIqelDI', ghu'vam wIlegh.
When we consider Milan and Francesco Sforza, this situation we see.

     All proper names are transliterated and flagged with a *.

rut 'oH tlhap no'vo' latlh yoS Hevbogh che'wI'.
Sometimes a ruler who received a country from his ancestors takes it.

*neypuS, *Speyn vodleH je wIqelDI', ghu'vam wIlegh.
When we consider Naples and the king of Spain, this situation we see.

tIghmo' che'wI' pabqanglaw' yoS tlhaplu'bogh, pagh tIghmo' tlhab neH chaH.
A country which one takes is willing to obey a ruler because of custom,
     or else they want to be free because of custom.

     "Willing to obey because of custom" was my rework of "accustomed to
     obey."

yoSmeyvam Suqlu'DI' nuHDaj lo' che'wI', pagh latlh nuH, pagh Do', pagh
     po'.
When one obtains these countries, the ruler uses his own weapons, or else
     another's weapons, or else he is lucky, or else he is skillful.

     That's all of the first chapter (yeah, it's short).  I have the next
one done, but I didn't want to overload the channel, so we'll just see
how this goes.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |