tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 07 18:32:10 1996

Re: nuq?

>Steve Boozer writes in a reply:
>>the four "warriors" salute Gen. Martok with mugs of "bloodwine" (one
>>word) and "Q'APLA!" Changeling/Martok replies "Q'APLA!" (This is
>>definitely a greeting.)
>
>I always assumed that Qapla' was the klingon equivalent of Aloha and Shalom.
>
>tevram

It certainly seems to have become one. As I recall, Paramount has only
used Okrand's all-purpose greeting "nuqneH" just once, in "The Emissary."
When Special Emissary K'Ehleyr gets out of the long-range probe she
arrived in, Riker (upon realizing that she's a Klingon) says, "nuqneH,
qaleghneS" in a THICK Terran accent. She seems impressed: "You speak
Klingon!" Modestly he replies, "A little."

True, Frakes mangled it into something like, "nugneg kay-lock ness" but
once I realized what the line was I, too, was impressed. "Greetings. I'm
honored to see you." He might have overdone it a bit with -neS, but he may
have just been being polite--in that annoying Human fashion. (Though, a
Federation Special Emissary may well out-rank a Starfleet commander.)
Unfortunately, we've never heard "nuqneH" again.

Voragh

Back to archive top level