tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 07 10:19:10 1996

Re: nuq?

Steve Boozer writes in a reply:
<                       Worst of all,
<the four "warriors" salute Gen. Martok
<with mugs of "bloodwine" (one
<word) and "Q'APLA!" Changeling/Martok
<replies "Q'APLA!" (This is
<definitely a greeting.)

I find that Qapla' can be used as a
greeting.  Think that every on of these
Klingons is a warrior and would use
clipped Klingon often. As a greeting a
Klingon in a setting as seen in DS9 would
say "Success to you" however in clipped in
could come out as "Success."

Earth Langauges have similarites I
believe.  I think, I may be way off here,
that Good Morning is actually a shortend
version of "May you have a Good Morning"
but that is just too long to say all the
time. Hence Good Morning.  Like I said I
could be wrong though.  I am not a
linguistic expert of any kind.

Qapla'                     Success
may'qal ro' ghojmoHwI'     Michael Rowe, Instructor

Back to archive top level