tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 06 14:03:21 1996

Re: nuq?

>96-10-06 01:05:14 EDT, jatlh voragh:
>
>> As I understand the
>>  procedure, Paramount supplies copies of its scripts to the Closed
>>  Captioning Institute when they add the captions to the tape.
>
>Hmph.  Then how come Okrand doesn't get hold of it?  :)
>
>SuStel

Good question. Here are some more:

1)  Does Okrand still work for CCI?

2)  If so, what exactly is his job? Is he just a menial clerk-typist,
personally keyboarding the captions onto the tapes? Or is he in
management?

3)  Is he involved with the Paramount account (including the Trek
franchise)? For that matter, does he handle entertainment programming at
all? Maybe he does news, commercials, etc.

4)  Since all scripts from whatever source are copyright, is he *allowed*
to make a "correction" even if he wants to? Also, since the shows are
captioned AFTER being filmed, any corrections would no longer match the
spoken dialog.

Not that captions in any TV show always match exactly;  there are
sometimes small discrepancies between them. (Let's ignore, for the moment,
any typos made during the actual captioning process.) An actor may
misremember or change a throw-away line, which the director doesn't feel
is worth re-shooting, and which no one subsequently bothers to update in
the shooting script before it's sent off to the CCI with the tape.  While
I have heard that Paramount doesn't normally allow any ad-libbing of its
English dialogue in Trek, I seriously doubt a director would order an
entire scene to be re-shot just because an actor (especially a guest star)
distorted one or two words of "alien" jibberish (say, by changing the
vowel or dropping a consonant). As long as the line sounded convincing.

Anyone out there actually know from experience how the whole captioning
process works? Has anyone ever purchased copies of scripts and compared
them to the final cut and its captions?

All of this fuss over captions may seem irrelevant to canonical Hol, but
knowing how reliable they are will help us to figure out what the original
line was in the script before the actor mangled it during filming. Knowing
what the line is supposed to be may be important--after all, one day one
of the staff writers will actually take the time to study TKD rather than
just glancing in it to look up words! For example, even now we can learn
a lot about Klingon swearing by analyzing the circumstances accompanying
every curse we hear on the tube;  this is an art form after all.

But, enough of this. As actor John Colicos/Kor says:  Kwa'plaw!  {{:)

Voragh

Back to archive top level