tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 07 08:42:17 1996

Re: Birds of a feather / Getting my ship together

>Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 20:19:01 -0700
>From: "David Wood"  <[email protected]>

>It started when I was looking for the Klingon for "bird." I couldn't find "bird"
>per se, but I did find "Bird of Prey."

>In light of that noun-function relation, in the word

>toQDuj           Bird of Prey (ship)

>I have this awful feeling that "toQ" does NOT mean "bird." Given the literal
>castings for the various ship words, a "bird-ship" sounds much more like an
>ornithopter.

I'm inclined to agree with you. "Bird of Prey" is too stylized a
translation, too colloquial to trust it to be literal.  "toQ" really could
mean practically anything, if this is allthe information we have on it.

~mark

Back to archive top level