tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 03 20:13:38 1996

Birds of a feather / Getting my ship together

It started when I was looking for the Klingon for "bird." I couldn't find "bird"
per se, but I did find "Bird of Prey."

The bird was the word. (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

Now, checking through my dictionary, I've turned up the following:

DIvI'may'Duj     Federation battle cruiser (n)

HIvDuj           attack fighter (n) Note: from HolQeD v1. n3.
                 (lit. "attack-ship")

may'Duj          battle cruiser (n)
                 (lit. "battle-ship")

qughDuj          cruiser (n) A
                 (lit. "cruise-ship")

SuyDuj           merchant ship (n)
                 (lit. "merchant-ship")

tongDuj          freighter (n)
                 (no word "tong" found, but cargo is "tep")

veQDuj           garbage scow (n)
                 (lit. "garbage ship")

veSDuj           warship (n) A
                 (lit. "war-ship")

All very nice words which show some correlation between the first half of the
compound noun and the function of the word.

In light of that noun-function relation, in the word

toQDuj           Bird of Prey (ship)

I have this awful feeling that "toQ" does NOT mean "bird." Given the literal
castings for the various ship words, a "bird-ship" sounds much more like an
ornithopter.

So I'm still looking. Won't someone please give me the bird?? (Sorry, couldn't
help that either.)

And it left me with more questions. Why isn't the K-word for freighter "tepDuj?"
What does "tong" mean if not "cargo?"

                                                              -David
This message brought to you by the Chesapeake FreeNet:
Telnet by NCSA Telnet. Mail by POPMail. Domain Name Server by RONCO.

Back to archive top level