tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 06 14:27:30 1996

RE: choHghoS

>>ghItlh SuStel:
>>
>>>They actually did an impressive job, in
>>>realizing that a verb prefix was needed.  Unfortunately, {ghoS} isn't the
>>>word they wanted, and they got the prefix wrong.
>>
>>They got it doubly wrong.  {cho-} isn't imperative, and it applies to a
>>*single* recipient.  {tu-} would have been marginally better, and perhaps
>>I could rationalize it as a prompt to follow a step in a prearranged plan.
>
>I would suspect that the phrase used would have been understandable -
>and would have IMMEDIATELY marked Sisko as an offworlder by both
>pronunciation and syntax.  I give Paramount a B for effort and a C- for
>execution.
>
>'etlhqengwI'

Aha!  We've all got it wrong. It's really a very clever *joke*:  Sisko
doesn't speak Klingon, so of course he makes a mistake with very first
words out of his mouth. Did anyone notice if Worf cringed when he heard
that? (I can just imagine him thinking, "Kahless! Don't let him talk!
Dukat was right: we're *not* going to last five minutes. We're all going
to be shot as spies and die without honor!")

We've seriously underestimated the writing staff at Paramount... {{:)

Voragh
(ducking for cover)

Back to archive top level