tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 04 15:01:59 1996

Re:

Luis Majluf writes:
>I need the translations of the word "moon"...

{maS} "moon" is given in The Klingon Dictionary.

>...the phrase "of the"...

{}  That phrase indicates possession, and is expressed in Klingon using
syntax, not words.  The translation of two adjacent nouns can be either
"noun1's noun2" or the semantically equivalent "noun2 of the noun1".

>...and the name of a small, furry creature...

{yIH} "tribble" is certainly a small, furry creature.

>...kinda like Worf's pet targh (that was what it as called, right?)

Well, {targh} *is* the Klingon word for that animal. :-)
But I wouldn't call that piglike thing we saw on screen small and furry.

---

Now that you have the words you asked for, what are you going to do with
them?  If you couldn't look up "moon" in the dictionary, you probably do
not have the dictionary, and you probably don't know the rules of grammar
that tell how to put words together to express ideas.  Many beginners try
to go through the process of learning vocabulary without first realizing
that it is grammar which truly defines a language.  Attempts to translate
word-for-word from English into Klingon do not work.

>        Infinite thanks!

Send it to Paramount's monkeys when they've worked out their script for
Hamlet...

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level