tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 03 07:03:45 1996

Anyone: HELP!

 > From: "Mark J. Reed" <ur-valhalla!hp.com!mreed>
 > Subject: Anyone: HELP!
 > Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 06:11:11 -0700
 > Bill Willmerdinger wrote:

 >> See my .sig; I am
 >> Commander Qob {la' Qob} and I command my ship {tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj
 >> ra'wI'}.

 > According to canon, ranks go after the name of the officer holding the
 > rank, so you would be {Qob la'}.  Some who have been using ranks since
 > before this piece of canon have opted to retain the old style for the
 > sake of continuity, but anyone starting out should probably get into
 > the habit of putting the rank last.

You're right, of course.  It should indeed be {Qob la'}.  I find myself caught
between two worlds, though, and sometimes have trouble switching tracks.
Because most fandom groups have adopted the John M. Ford/FASA system of (rank
name honorific-surname), I have a such a name, which is the one I primarily
use.  For the List, I really ought to think of myself as {Qob la'}... but I
often don't, in large part because I don't know what to do with my sutai-
honorific.

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |