tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 02 11:15:55 1996

Re: Marriage Ceremony in Klingon

>Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:19:01 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Mike Rowe)

>I need some help.  I remember reading once
>about someone who performed marriage
>ceremonies in tlhIngan-Hol.  My fiancee
>has actually said she would like to have a
>wedding done in Klingon.  I was amazed and
>am looking about how this can be done.

>Anyone know any religious people who speak
>tlhIngan-Hol?

>Reply privately at: [email protected]

I'm replying publicly as well, since this is somewhat on-topic, in that I
discuss castings of sentences into tlhIngan Hol.

In terms of religious people... Hi there.  I'm a practicing Orthodox Jew
(and I'll keep practicing until I get it right, I guess) and I think people
here will vouch for my speaking of tlhIngan Hol.

Someone once asked me to translate a key sentence from the Jewish wedding
ceremony into Klingon.  The sentence goes, in Hebrew:

harei at m'qudeshet li b'Taba`at zu k'dat mosheh v'yisra'el.

In English:

Behold, you are consecrated to me by this ring according the traditions of
Moses and Israel.

My translation (from memory):

*Mosheh* *Yisra'el" je lalDanDaq be'nalwI' SoHmeH, SoHvaD Qebvam vInob

(In order that you be my wife in the religion of Moses and Israel, I give
you this ring).

In retrospect, the "lalDanDaq" was probably wrong; I stretched the meaning
more than I like (or rather, more than I came to like) regarding -Daq.  I
probably would have done well to drop the phrase altogether, or use
something more complicated like "chut qellu'taHvIS" or something.  I could
have used "DamojmeH" instead of "SoHmeH", but I don't think the latter is
bad.

I think I once translated "Do you take this woman to be your wife" into
Klingon as "be'nallI' ghaHmeH, be'vam Datlhapqang'a'?"  I think it works
well; the -qang makes sense; probably more sense than leaving it out would.

Does this start to speak to what you wanted to hear?

~mark

Back to archive top level